TfL Travel for LifeTravel for Life is a TfL accreditation programme, offering schools and education settings across London a series of free educational programmes from age 3 to 17 designed to inspire young Londoners to travel actively, responsibly and safely. We award a gold, silver or bronze accreditation based on the number of activities that have been completed.
We have already accredited over 1500 schools. It has never been easier to register and we have over 120 activities to chose from. And with our new accreditation support team, we are here to help you register, plan and deliver!
7 reasons to join TfL’s Travel for Life
- It is free, easy and there is plenty of content, lesson plans and guides to support you
- Supports the School Travel and Climate Action planning, the OFSTED Enrichment programme and the Curriculum
- There are incentives along the way like competitions and awards
- Promotes peer-led projects and leadership as well as other life skills and employability
- Benefits mental and physical health and wellbeing
- Reduces car congestion around your school and improves road safety and air quality
- We are here to help and guide you through the process, contact our support team or join a drop-in seminar online
You don’t need to have any specific knowledge or experience to take part, just a lot of enthusiasm to make a difference to your school community!
Why TfL Travel for Life?
There are so many pressures on schools to complete school travel plans, provide enrichment programmes and detailed Climate Action Plans. Our programme works alongside these requirements to provide an easy, fun and recognisable solution. But TfL Travel for Life isn’t just about that, it will also have a positive impact on your students and your local communities.
The programme will improve children's health and mental wellbeing through active travel, improve confidence, resilience and independence and improve the air quality around your school.
Accredited schools can expect to achieve:
- 4% average increase in active and sustainable travel
- 6% average reduction in the number of trips made to school
- Up to 12% reduction in car use
Be part of the solutionSince the accreditation scheme started in 2007, accredited schools’ pupils, parents/carers and staff have replaced over 22 million kilometres of car journeys with active travel! That’s an incredible step towards a healthier, less congested London.
As an accredited school you can expect to see an average 6% reduction in the number of trips made by car to your school; gold and silver accredited schools can see up to 12% reduction
As a Champion you will have the opportunity to implement behaviour change within your school context. Click the links below to find our more about both the Primary and Secondary School Champion roles:
Primary School Champion Job Description
Secondary School Champion Job Description
Start making a change nowTfL Travel for Life is open to all London schools and nurseries. To take part in the scheme, you first need to create an online account. This will put you in touch with your local borough officer who will support you throughout the accreditation process, help you create a School Travel Plan (STP) and select the most suitable activities for your school to address your travel issues and reach your active travel targets. Each activity you complete is a step closer to gaining accreditation.
Activities adaptable to your school's needsThere are over 125 inspiring activities to choose from. These are adaptable to your pupils' needs and your schools' travel concerns.
Contributes to your pupils' 60 minutes a day of physical activity
Increases attendance and attainment
Build young people's influencing skills
Encourage healthier travel behaviours and habits such as walking, scooting and cycling to school
Develop your School Travel Plan providing solutions to your school's travel issues
Create positive travel behaviour change and provides access to funding
Bespoke professional guidance and support from your local borough
Raise the profile of your school, help gain external recognition and contribute to Healthy Schools London Awards Programme
The wider school community
- Reduce congestion around the school site and improve air quality
- Encourage positive travel behaviour change in parents/carers and local residents
- Help develop relationships with community stakeholder groups